Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Will I Ever Learn?

A few days ago I posted something titled, “A Sorry Excuse for a Post”
In this, I mentioned that my favorite artist was Andrew D. Well, for those of you who don’t know, that would be my husband. I also took the liberty to snap some photos of his work and post them on that particular blog. BIG MISTAKE!

No, no, no, I’m just kidding. Well, sort of. You see, there is kind of a joke between my friends and I when it comes to Andy’s art. Basically, I am not supposed to get involved at all.

I may have gone on a PR kick with his work a few years ago which landed me in some hot water. I may have notified some news outlets that he won the 8TH ANNUAL GEORGETOWN INTERNATIONAL FINE ART COMPETITION, juried and curated by Kristen Hileman, Asst. Curator for Contemporary Art at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Gardens. Out of 1,000 submissions from 184 artist, they picked Andy‘s work as the best. (See, I can’t help myself! I’m doing it again!)

http://www.thefrasergallery.com/DC2004.html
(scroll down to see his pieces and other images from the show)

Like I said, big mistake. The next thing he knew a news crew from channel 5 showed up at his fire station to interview him about his work. Imagine this, a bunch of firefighters hanging out at the station and some reporter comes in to interview Andy about his art. I guess that falls under the category of embarrassing for some guys. How am I supposed to know that? Ever since then, the guys at work have called him Picasso. He also had articles in The Fairfax Connection and The Fairfax Times. I’m not sure he enjoyed being interviewed for those either. This basically sums up his thoughts on artist statements:

http://gimmeshelter.co.uk/ArtistInfo.php?user_id=253

I also may have invited everyone I know to his opening in Georgetown a few weeks later. He was not pleased. He would rather keep a low profile and not tell anyone about such events. NOT ME! Anyways, I vowed to stay out of his art affairs in the future and let him handle things the way he wishes.

I must have forgot this rule when I posted his images the other day. He really didn’t mind all that much that I posted his work, just that I took really bad pictures of his work. Some of the drawings were sitting on the floor in the garage. I thought they looked fine, so I didn’t think much about it.


Here are some images that are not from the garage floor:


After my post, I realized the point Andy was making.

Posting his unfinished art would be like him posting some dreadful poetry that I wrote as a teenager. I though about that for a few minutes and realized how annoyed I would be. Especially because that stuff was REALLY bad! So, in an effort to redeem myself here, I have actually pulled out an old journal of mine from 9th and 10th grade.

I found the most horrendous poems I could find and have posted them below:

Here is the actual journal


A masterpiece about my car

I have absolutely no idea what this is

I told you it was bad!

1 comment: