Sunday, January 7, 2007

Ache in the head

Some definitions that have become a part of my daily life:

Migraine: The most common type of vascular headache, involving (it is thought) abnormal sensitivity of blood vessels (arteries) in the brain to various triggers resulting in rapid changes in the artery size due to spasm (constriction). Other arteries in the brain and scalp then open (dilate), and throbbing pain is perceived in the head.

Transient ischemic attack (TIA): A neurological event with the signs and symptoms of a stroke, but which go away within a short period of time. Also called a mini-stroke, a TIA is due to a temporary lack of adequate blood and oxygen (ischemia) to the brain. This is often caused by the narrowing (or, less often, ulceration) of the carotid arteries (the major arteries in the neck that supply blood to the brain).

Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO): An atrial septal defect (ASD) is a group of congenital heart diseases that involve the inter-atrial septum of the heart. The inter-atrial septum is the tissue that separates the right and left atria from each other. Without this septum, or if there is a defect in this septum, it is possible for blood to travel from the left side of the heart to the right side of the heart, or the other way around.




Ok, here's long and short of it:

I'm a middle school creative writing teacher. I have been teaching for the past seven years, and recently had to go on disability due to migraine headaches. This is totally lame. I am the type of person that loves my job and loves working (most of the time). Yes, I know I turn into a meteorologist in the winter as I watch every weather forecast and check all the Internet weather links searching for signs of a possible snowflake. I know! But that doesn't mean I don't dig my job. I just really enjoy the occasional snow day or delayed opening. Maybe a little too much. It has also been difficult because migraines are not completely understood by the vast majority of people that have not experienced them. There is so much research and controversy surrounding migraines, especially relating to the things that I have recently gone through.

I began to have migraine headaches about four and a half years ago. At that time, I was teaching full-time, attending graduate school and planning my wedding. Needless to say, stress may have been a factor. However, the migraines have continued. After many doctor visits, it was recommended that I see a neurologist. By the way, my neurologist is awesome. His name is Dr. Stark from the Neurology and Headache Treatment Center in Alexandria. http://www.neuro-headache.com/ It turns out that I was suffering from classic migraine headaches.

To make a long story short, I have been through just about everything you can imagine with my headaches. I have taken all the tripan drugs, injections, nasal sprays, anti-seizure meds, etc. Nothing has really worked for me.

When I became pregnant in early July, 2006, I had to go off all of my preventative medications. (BTW, a South Mediterranean cruise is a great place to go if planning to start a family) Consequently, I suffered from a severe migraine about two to three times a week. Then, when I was 10 weeks pregnant, I had a TIA and was confined to a hospital for five days.


I then had to stop working, which is currently driving me crazy, hence this blog to keep me occupied. Thank goodness I haven't driven my husband completely insane yet by being home. It's also nice that my boss and co-workers have been so cool.

I also have some pretty cool friends. They've been there to hear me complain about my struggles. They've also taken the time to respond to the influx of emails I constantly send them due to my enormous amount of free time. (It is amazing what you can learn on the Internet... did you know that the host of Bravo's Top Chef is married to Salman Rushdie?) I'm sure they love hearing me go on and on about how bored I am, when they're putting in a 50 hour work week.



Here is a picture of the aforementioned friends. This was taken at our ten year HS reunion!

I am now 27 weeks pregnant and I'm not too pleased to report that I am still getting migraines at the same frequency and intensity. I had a total of 14 migraine headache days in the month of December. I will have a great couple of days, and then I'll be knocked out by a migraine for 24-48 hours. Then the cycle repeats itself.

Here is a picture of me when I was almost six months pregnant!

I was recently tested for a specific heart condition that my doctor thought I might have due to my TIA and migraines. It turns out I have something called a PFO or Patent Foramen Ovale. "A patent foramen ovale, or PFO, is an opening between the upper two chambers of the heart that have failed to close after birth. This congenital defect is also known as “hole in the heart” and affects about 25 percent of the population. Most patients survive into adulthood with an undetected PFO without any significant symptoms. Though most patients with PFO don't experience any symptoms, it is the most likely cause of stroke in patients under age 55. The condition predisposes a patient to stroke when small, often undetectable, clots forms in the pelvic region or lower extremities." (SORRY FOR THE BOOK REPORT)

Anyways, it turns out there is a possible link between people who suffer from migraines and people with a PFO. The research is still quite controversial, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this discovery. I may be able to have surgery to close the hole after my baby is born.

My pregnancy is otherwise going well. I'm exercising and doing yoga regularly. I've set up rules for myself that I have been following to keep sane. We decided not to find out what we are having. I like the idea of having a surprise when the baby is born.


So, that is where I am right now. Aren't you riveted?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, I am so glad you are doing this! I love it and of all people you are one person who should have a blog. Between all of your adventures and your love to write....your blog will be the best ever!!! Keep it coming!!! Love ya, Erin

Brenda said...

Mary,
I have a 20 yr old son who has had a severe migraine (x72 hrs) with neurological symptoms ( difficulty finding words, could not see out R side, weakness, numbness in legs- He is currently getting a work-up for PFO. He was told NOT to take Triptans ( he was given immitrex in ER) as they increase the chance of stroke. But instead, has Naproxen for future migraines (Being pregnant- you should ask your doctor, but He also was told to take 1 aspirin daily, to reduce the chance of another TIA/stroke. He will get a MRI/MRA, and TEE in April- but his cardiologist is convinced he has PFO, and needs a repair. If you look this up - you'll see many are no longer having ANY migraines after this repair. Good news- this can be corrected through a catherization, and go home the next day.
I mention this because some research says that some kinds of strain can trigger migraines- and labor could certainly be defined as strain!
I am hoping & praying for your best-( as with my son-) that the migraine/ TIA can be resolved before there is any residual problem. Use your "study" skills to check this out- and advocate for yourself!