Friday, January 19, 2007

I have a lot to learn

Top Ten (12 rather) list from my talented brother-in-law Danny-

He is an actor/ director/ writer.
You can check out his website at:
http://ddevlin.googlepages.com/

1) a history of violence
2) a life less ordinary
3) closer
4) punch drunk love
5) the usual suspects
6) brick
7) the history boys <--i'm sure this isn't on DVD yet, but when it is, get it. it's amazing.

8) children of men <--same as above, although you and A can catch this at the local theater.
9) angels in america
10) ghost world
11) shaun of the dead
12) american splendor



From my father-in-law:

"Dearest Mary,
You did pick at least three great movies -
my #3 To Kill A Mockingbird,
my #4 Paper Clips
and my #6 Schindler's List.

However, what could possibly have possessed you to omit my #1 The Wizard of OZ (Lucas stole the plot line for Star Wars.),
#2 Star Wars,
#5 On the Waterfront (Brando at his best),
#7 It's A Wonderful Life (Jimmy Stewart's first movie after returning from WWII),
#8 Singin In The Rain (Kelly, O'Connor and Reynolds)
#9 Casablanca (How can you have a movie list w/o Bogie?)
#10 The Quiet Man (Ireland, John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara)
#11 The Bridge On The River Kwai (Bill Holden and Alec Guinness)
#12 Shane (Simply a great movie from a book.)
#13 Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (Tracy, Hepburn and Poitier (gutsy social statement in 1967)
#14 American Graffiti (Reminded me of my nights at the Steer-In and Hot Shoppes - another lifetime.)
#15 Rocky (the first and last one)

I'm sure there are many others like, "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland (another movie Lucas used to write Star Wars) but I'll save those for another time." JMD

Now I know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks, since I have only seen three movies on the list above. Like I said, I have a lot to learn!

I'm also interested in the
Steer-In and Hot Shoppes. Do tell!

Thanks G-dad!

No comments: