Saturday, January 20, 2007

All I Want For Christmas


If you have been watching TV this week, you may have seen Steve Irwin’s widow Terri and their daughter Bindi making the talk show rounds. My heart goes out to Terri Irwin because like most people, I cannot fathom the idea of losing my significant other. I admire her strength and integrity as she attempts to continue her husband's wildlife crusade.

Logically, this brings me to the topic of Motorcycles. My husband wants a Triumph motorcycle. (It doesn’t help that my Father gave him a motorcycle book for his birthday either! Thanks a lot Dad!)

Now, I am not the type of wife to tell my husband what to do. I just use a little dose of healthy passive- aggressiveness to get my point across. I would never deny him what he wants, and if he truly feels like he needs a motorcycle to make him happy, then by all means he should have one. He can certainly get one and risk the possibility of a severe accident. (Can you detect my highly evolved passive- aggressive skills?)

Whenever he brings it up, I casually remind him of the times he has come home from work and declared with certainty, “I’ll never get a motorcycle after the call we ran last night.” Then he proceeds to tell me the disturbing and sad details of the accident.

So, waiting under the Christmas tree this year was a shiny Triumph T-Shirt! That is almost as good as the bike, right?


Coincidentally, Andy even wore his Christmas present last night. I told you he loves it! I think our little nephew Reese likes it too!

2 comments:

JMD said...

As Jack Webb from the TV show Dragnet would always say, "Just the facts."

1. "Unlike a car, a motorcycle is lightweight; it has no door, no roof, no airbags, and no safety belts. A motorcycle is less stable than a car because it only has two wheels.

2."In two-thirds of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle rider's right of way and caused the accident."

3. "Motorcycles make smaller visual targets, which are more likely to be obscured by other vehicles, or by road and weather conditions. This is an issue especially at intersections, where approximately 70 percent of motorcycle-versus-vehicle collisions occur."

4."The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents."

5."Most motorcycle accidents involve a short trip associated with shopping, errands, friends, entertainment or recreation, and the accident is likely to happen in a very short time close to the trip origin."

In other WORDS, it doesn't matter how well trained you were, the safety rating of your helmet and clothing and your own personal abilities, it's the other fellow in the car that caused the accident and walked away from it.

Justine Ungaro said...

No motorcycle, way too dangerous!