Tuesday, January 9, 2007

When I grow up

When you were little, did you know what you wanted to be when you grew up?

My good friend Kelly recently reminded me of something from our elementary school days that I had forgotten. Unlike most fourth graders that fantasize about becoming a movie star, professional athlete, nurse, teacher, or lifeguard, (C'mon, you remember how cool the lifeguard was at your pool, don't you?) I had something else in mind. Kelly recalled that I wanted to be a Nazi Hunter. That is correct. At the age of ten, I was determined to be a Nazi Hunter. I don't think I realized (or cared for that matter) that most of the perpetrators would be dead by the time I graduated from HS. All I wanted to do was hunt them down and bring them to justice.

My father recently let me borrow a hard copy of the book The Holocaust Chronicle, (I can't figure out how to underline in this program. Just imagine the title of the book is underlined) published by Louis Weber. This entire 700 plus page book is also available on-line. http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/

"As the 21st century unfolds, the Holocaust recedes farther into the past. As something that happened in an earlier century, it may appear to be increasingly distant from us. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth. The genocide happened; it casts shadows upon the earth. The genocide makes no darkness unthinkable, no destruction unimaginable, no devastation impossible. Post-Holocaust ethnic cleansing in Kosovo and genocides in Bosnia and Rwanda testify to that. Only if the Holocaust's warning is heeded and not forgotten can the cry "never again!" keep from being mocked by a resounding "again and again!" The Holocaust Chronicle. Prologue, page 19.

We can also look at what is currently happening in Darfur. http://www.savedarfur.org/content
Genocide warnings are also present in Chad, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan and Burma.

Like many people, I am a firm believer that we have to understand the darkest moments in history to make sure they never happen again. Although this book is often difficult to read, I think it is important to be a witness in any way I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, I love this blog. It is so good! Please keep writing. I am riveted!

Anonymous said...

"We have to understand the darkness
moments in history", our current USA president certainly provides us with such an opportunity.

"It is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." Hermann Goering

Sound familiar?